Program Management and Product Development
At UPG, we have the expertise to manage all aspects of the product development process. Our engineering teams have taken hundreds of products though the product development cycle. We utilize a practical approach that is proven to deliver low cost solutions to our customers quickly. We break our development cycle into a 5 stage process:
- Idea to Concept. Our engineers first listen to understand your application, problems, and business goals. Once we understand your needs, we work with you to convert ideas into product concepts. Our unique understanding of material science, application knowledge, and manufacturing processes make our participation invaluable during this step.
- Feasibility. Feasibility is a quick “proof of concept” stage that greatly improves the technical and commercial probability of success. All concepts should be evaluated for feasibility to select the best concept to move to detailed development.
- Development. The development stage is what most people think of when discussing product development. It is the most expensive and time consuming step where the following work is complete:
- Design: UPG uses the latest CAE tools to turn your concept into computer models. We utilize 3D drafting, FEA, and other tools to design a product that solves the problem, is easily manufactured, and commercially viable.
- Prototyping: Using our tooling, machining, and molding capabilities, UPG is able to produce working prototypes quickly.
- Interactive Testing: Basic testing is complete to refine and improve a design in an interactive process.
- Qualification and Validation. Once a design is complete, UPG engineers work with you to qualify and validate the design in end use application. UPG has a variety of test equipment in our lab and can provide value testing services during this step of the process.
- Launch. When it comes time to launch, UPG has the experience to manufacture your product on time. UPG provides the following launch services to ensure a successful product introductions:
- Manufacturing process design
- Equipment design and qualification
- Production Tooling (development and validation)
- Process, operation, and performance qualification
- Process optimization
- Supply chain development
- Quality Assurance
Your Catalyst for Success